I just had to share some of the Christmas desserts that always make it to our Holiday table. Along with a few tips and quick recipes for making them at home! Enjoy.
5. Chocolate Torte
To make at home:
- Bake your favorite chocolate (or vanilla) cake recipe in a square cake pan.
- Using a cake leveler or long carving knife, slice your cake into 4 layers. Then slice in half to create 8 total layers.
- Carefully stack and fill each layer with fruit preserves, ganache or frosting. Safely transfer and stack cake layers using a cookie sheet, cake board or cake spatula.
- Make a chocolate ganache by combining equal parts of warm cream with chocolate. Stir until smooth and room temperature.
- Sit cake on a rack and carefully pour ganache over cake. Add design using toothpicks or cake decorating comb. Chill and enjoy!
4. Apple Pie
My Grandmother always makes sure to include a glazed apple pie for our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. The combination of tart apples, raisins and a sweet glaze defines the taste of the season.
- Peel, Core and slice a variety of 4 large apples and toss with a squeeze of lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl mix 1/8 C flour, 1/2 C white sugar, 1/4 C brown sugar & 1 tsp cinnamon.
- Add dry mixture to apples and coat evenly. Place into a prepared pie crust.
- Cut 2 tbsp butter into small pats and place on top of apples. Finish with a top crust & crimp edges.
- Beat an egg and a tbsp of milk to brush over the pie. Cut a slit in the center. Bake for 15 min. at 423 then reduce heat to 350 and bake for another 40 minutes. Allow pie to fully cool.
Whether it be Cranberry, Marble or Pumpkin, we've always received a cheesecake around the holidays. In my household a good cheesecake is decadent and rich, which is what makes this a treat and something something to eat too often.
2. Spritz Cookies
I love preparing a large batch of these buttery cookies to give as gifts while visiting the family. They go as fast as they are prepared. Not to mention, Santa loves them too!
To make at home:
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Beat 1 C butter, 1/2 C sugar, and 1/4 tsp almond or lemon extract in a large bowl (food color can also be added).
- Stir in flour, salt and egg until dough forms.
- Place dough in a cookie press or in a piping bag with a large tip. Jams can be placed in the center.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes or until set. Top with sprinkles, sugars, ganache.
1. Sweet Potato Pie
I'd share the recipe...but then I'd have to...well, Happy Holidays!!!!