Hey Cake LOVERS and lovers of all things cake!
The last baking tutorial was on a scrumptious raspberry custard tart utilizing the fresh raspberries I picked from the orchard. I knew what I had a taste for, so I got to researching a found a pretty good recipe. I did want to make a few adjustments as stated in the video. The croissant dough made a quick and easy shell but I can imagine that the shortbread or even a vanilla cookie crust would be a 10 out of 10 on the flavor meter. So, Please feel free to do what you love and experiment!
RASPBERRY CUSTARD TART
- Pillsbury Crescent Roll Dough
- Other Options:
- Shortbread Dough
- Vanilla Cookie Dough
- 2 C fresh raspberries, plus more for serving
- 1 1/2 C heavy cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough 1/8 inch thick and fit in a 9 in. pie or tart pan. Freeze 15 minutes, or until firm
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line the dough with foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake the tart shell for 25 minutes, then remove the foil and weights and bake for 5 minutes longer, or until the pastry is lightly browned on the bottom. Cover the shell loosely with foil if the sides begin to brown too quickly. Let cool completely on a rack.
- Arrange the raspberries in concentric circles over the bottom of the tart shell. In a small bowl, whisk the cream with the egg yolks, sugar and scraped vanilla seeds. Pour the custard into the tart shell. Bake in the middle of the oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until the custard is set. Let the tart cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. Serve with fresh raspberries and the raspberry-caramel sauce.
Click below to watch the full video
- Couture in a Cupcake
One of my favorite Fall activities is visiting the Orchard to pick fruits and fish. I was so excited to see that Milburn Orchards had U-Pick raspberries available! My mom and I had to hop on the opportunity before they went out of season. The weather was my kind of perfect (hoodie weather), so we decided to make a day of it.
The price of picking raspberries were about the same as some markets BUT, I'd pay to pick my own produce any day. It's well worth the price and you're sure to get a better tasting berry. We took a hay ride (without the hay) over to the apple orchards where we picked Red Delicious, Jonagold and my favorite, Golden Delicious apples. I decided to find a custard tart recipe for the raspberries and my mom wanted to make apple cobbler which sounded amazing! Click below to view the Orchard video.